Friday, June 11, 2010

Paul Stankard's Frozen Me in Glass

I never thought that I would be captured by what I have always considered a more dated form of art, art glass. A few contemporary artists have transitioned my thinking.   One of note is Paul Stankard, the oft-lauded Godfather of the art glass world.  Stankard has shown me that glass can attract collectors of contemporary art.  Art glass doesn't have to be a paperweight to fit on your Grandma's fresh-pressed doily.  It can be imaginative and curious, and make you wonder how'd he do that.

While other designers of glass paperweights struggle to achieve a thousand-dollar price-point for their pieces, 67 year old Stankard has flirted with auction prices topping $40k for some of his better pieces.  Premier auction houses have all carried his works, and continue to sell his pieces with strong results.

These two pieces sold at auction in 2007 for $41k and $27k respectively...despite an estimate of $5-$7k each.  Of course, these are two of his best exemplars, so that must be factored into appraisals of his other works. 

Stankard's pieces are incredibly detailed and amazing in that each piece of his composition, from buzzing bees to ornate flowers, is crafted out of glass.  No detail is ignored, and that attention is not lost on the collectors willing to pay top prices for a piece of Stankard's wizardry. 

1 comment:

  1. Having met Paul Stankard at an artist lead tour at the Corning Museum of Glass last summer, I can tell you that he is a delightful, engaging, personable, down-to-earth gentleman. He was eager to answer questions and was happy to see the 2 older paperweights I showed him that he'd done very, very early in his career. He also explained details about his round orb paperweight done in 2008 that I had acquired. I'm thrilled that he signed his book No Green Berries or Leaves for me.

    ReplyDelete