Thursday, June 10, 2010

Antanas Adomaitis...the next Dali

For years I've been following the works of Lithuanian phenom, Antanas Adomaitis.  A virtual unknown in the US, he's represented minimally in this country, but seems to have quite a following in Lithuania and throughout Eastern Europe.

The artist is a bit extreme from what I'm told, though I've never had the pleasure of speaking with him.  For now, I'll just envisage him from his picture and his paintings.  I've always thought that knowing too much about an artist could be a hindrance to appreciating their works. 

I'm including a link to a brief bio provided by my friend Harry Nasse at Ward Nasse gallery (one of the only Non-Profit art galleries in Manhattan) on A.Adomaitis: http://ward-nassegallery.blogspot.com/2009/08/members-antanas-adomaitis.html

I purchased the large piece below, entitled "Life is Beautiful" over 10 years ago, while living in NYC, around the corner from Ward Nasse.  I found it in one of the many art bins around the gallery.  It's been the topic of many conversations, and just about every person sees something different in the piece.  I saw an upside-down tortoise the first time I laid eyes on it, but everyone is different...some see gauges, others see bugs.

In short, Adomaitis makes your brain work in an odd way...and that, for an artist, is the highest compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment